Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Favorite Verse

Quick, what’s the first verse that comes to mind if I ask you to tell me your favorite verse? John 3:16? Ephesians 2:8-9? Romans 8:28? Or maybe you’re one of those quirky Christians who have a favorite verse in Zephaniah or II Chronicles. Whatever your answer, the verse you chose probably has a special meaning for you. The verse may be well known, or obscure, but to you, it’s special. Maybe it was the favorite verse of one of your parents, or maybe you were able to get through a tough time in you life because you relied upon the comfort of one particular portion of Scripture. Whatever your answer is, and for many people it changes from time to time, I think it’s a good thing to have a favorite verse, passage, or book of the Bible. We all have favorite movies, songs, and (hopefully) books; why not favorite Scripture too?
You might be wondering, what’s your favorite verse? Well, my answer may have changed over the years, but it always seems to return to Isaiah 40:31, “but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” That is of course the favorite verse of most distance runners; we know what it is like to grow weary on the long miles. I certainly don’t run as much as I used to, my creaky knees see to that, but I hope I never stop thinking of myself as a runner, and I hope I never forget to put my hope in the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment