Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Wife Nicole


Nicole and I are together because of the U.S.S. Platonic. That's not an actual ship, but rather the name of the play that we began co-writing while friends, and finished writing in love. I never thought that Nicole and I could be together because I'm a Baptist pastor (at the time looking for a new church gig) and she's a commited Catholic. When we first started dating we knew that the "M" word was on the horizon and it set me to search my soul and my conscience to find out what I really believed about Christian Ecumenism (the notion that all churches are part of the Church if they believe in Jesus). In the end, I loved her, and I knew that our lives would be an amazing example of the divides that the love of Christ can bridge. It hasn't always been easy to be a Baptist Pastor with a Catholic wife, but my appreciation for the richness and fullness of God's mercy and redemptive work in our world is a blessing that knowing Nicole has helped me to see. (In a related note, I decided to write a "book" about the subject of Christian Ecumenism titled "Christianity's Big Tent" from I John, it's 150 pages of Word, so I can't post it, but I'm happy to e-mail it to anyone who asks for a copy).

No comments:

Post a Comment