Friday, July 17, 2009

Memorial Day service

This past memorial day I had the privelage and honor of leading the memorial day service at the cemetary in Palo. Palo is a very small town, but the cemetary has well over one hundred veterans buried in it. The whole town (plus a lot of the surrounding countryside) was there to honor America's past heroes and pray for our current ones. I read two selections from Robert Barr Smith's amazing book "To the Last Cartridge" and spoke about uncommon valor being found in common Americans. I've always been facinated with the military and military history (probably the topic I read most about after religion), my dad was in the Air Force and one of my best friends is an army doctor (Zach), so I was very moved by the opportunity to give my own bit of homage to those who ensure that freedom still shines in America. Nicole joined in and sang a lovely rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment