Saturday, July 25, 2009

The name on the sign out front


When I was growing up I struggled quit a bit with pride. School was very easy for me, I always got A's, and being one of the smallest kids in my grade led to a lot of teasing. My defense mechanism was to comfort myself with my intellectual superiority to the guys who were picking on me. It took me a while to overcome that early influence; God made sure that life humbled me sufficiently (by waiting a long, long, time before I met my future wife, and having some setbacks before I met Nicole). I also had to wait years to have a church ministry of my own (spent a few years as a youth pastor, then a long wait...); by the time that Palo offered me this position, I was just happy to finally have the chance to use what I had learned in college, the chance to use what God has given me (like the 2nd string quarterback just itching to get in the game). It wasn't until later that the sign was repainted and the little piece hung beneath it with my name on it. It actually caught me by surprise the first time, but I can't help but feel a little bit of pride when I see that sign outside the church. Not pride in who I am, but pride in what God has been able to do because I was willing to try to be of use for the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment