Thursday, July 16, 2009

When You're Not Having a Good Day

How do you know when you’re not going to have a good day? I had a not so subtle moment that let me know that my day was going to have some rain in the forecast. On my way to work this week, I accelerated my beloved Taurus onto M-66, only to have the engine rev, but the speed decline. I thought to myself, that’s odd, can’t be good. Sure enough, that was the end of the transmission, and the end of the Taurus. Now what? Needless to say, this isn’t what Nicole and I were hoping for this week. But when is it ever our hope to be tested, to have life give you lemons?
The life of Jesus, as always, offers us counsel when things aren’t going our way. As you know, Jesus had to endure difficulties and sorrows far beyond having a car break down on you. What was his response? Hebrews 5:7 tells us, “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.” The author of Hebrews goes on to explain that Jesus learned obedience through suffering, not exactly the lesson we’re eager to ask for, but a crucial one nonetheless. Is every misfortune in life a lesson sent by God to teach us something? No, but that doesn’t mean we should pass up the opportunity to learn from it. A last thought, Jesus was HEARD by God when he prayed for deliverance from the cross, but the answer was no. Are you in trouble? In need? Offer up a prayer with loud cries and tears; God WILL hear you, regardless of the answer you receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment