Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sometimes, I don't have any answers

Sometimes you just don’t have any answers. You’ve heard about a tragic situation, or maybe listened as a friend relates the agonizing details of a loss. Answers just don’t come. You could quote Scripture, and if you think of the right passage that might help, but sometimes your mind goes blank and all you have to give is, “I know” or “I’m sorry”. Then again, maybe that’s the right thing to do anyway; James said we should be quick to listen and slow to speak so maybe we shouldn’t be trying to think of what we should say and simply concentrate on listening. Bad things do happen to good people. Our world is neck deep in sin and rebellion toward everything that is good and noble and pure. Is it any wonder that good people suffer too? Death, disease, fire, storms, corruption, greed, hatred; they’re all a part of this world we’ve made for ourselves (in the sense that this is what it’s like apart from God; man’s rebellion is reaping only what it once sowed). How does anyone make it through a good week without the hope of knowing God? Should we be surprised that people try to drown out their sorrow in alcohol, sex, and drugs? Without God, we don’t have any answers.


Back to my original thought; sometimes I don’t have any answers; that seems odd because people count on me for answers all the time. If answers are what you crave, you’ll have to ask God, but I have a feeling that when you or I stand face to face with Jesus Christ the last thing we’ll be wondering about are the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment