Monday, October 12, 2009

Entering God's Rest - Hebrews 4

I was asked to conduct a funeral this past week for someone from Palo (years ago) that I had never met.  This sort of thing can be difficult because as a pastor it's hard to know which Scripture passages will be of the most comfort for the family when you don't know much about the person who is being remembered.  In the end, two passages from the Gospels helped me, Jesus and the thief on the Cross (how wide is God's mercy and how easily obtained) and the 99 and 1 Sheep (God cares enough about each of us to not let us wander off) were able to guide me in my remarks.
Thinking back on that funeral, there was a lot of talk from the family and friends about how their loved one was no longer struggling against the troubles that beset her during her life.  That's certainly true, but I think it misses the point a little bit.  We often think of heaven as a place where we no longer have to endure physical troubles (an aching back, poor eyesight, a handicap); while this is certainly true, it doesn't reflect the real reason why standing before Jesus some day will be so amazing.
The burden that we are all carrying, a burden whose weight we are so used to that we don't even notice it, is sin.  We live in a world where sin is everywhere.  A world where our lives are beset by temptations and tragedies that come from sin.  The true peace of God that we will experience when standing face to face with Jesus will be finally knowing what it is like to be holy.  When selfishness is no longer an option, when fear and failure slip away.  On that day, you will find that a tremendous weight has fallen off your shoulders, never to be taken up again.  On that day, you will truly rest.
I'm reminded of the song, "I can only Imagine"  I love that song; the lyrics are amazing.  "Surrounded by your glory, what will my hear feel?  Will I dance for  you Jesus, or in awe of you bill still?  Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?   Will I sing Hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?  I can only imagine, I can only imagine."

No comments:

Post a Comment