Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Friend and Afghanistan

Got a call from a good friend of mine (he was in my wedding, I was his best man, plus we've played hockey together); found out he's heading to Afghanistan in January with the Army (doctor).  Needless to say, the thoughts and prayers of my wife and I will be with him and his wife and children while he is gone, as they should be for any members of the military we know who are in harms way.  As I wrote about my Memorial Day address, I've always been a staunch supporter of the men and women who serve to protect and defend the unprecedented freedom that we enjoy in America each day.  When I went to my high school reunion last summer (15), it was amazing to calculate how many of the boys from my graduating class ended up serving in the military (it was something like 12 to 15 out of 30).  I think it says something very positive about small town values that so many see the military as a worthy pursuit.  God Bless you all, may the Lord of us all protect you, comfort you, and bring you back home safe to those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment