Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Is Failing to Pray a Sin? - I Samuel 12:23-24

When Israel's spiritual leader Samuel was addressing the people about their choice of Saul as their king he made a curious remark about his responsibility to pray for them.  "far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you."  As a man called by God to lead his people, Samuel considered it an obligation, a moral imperative, that he pray for his people.
So, are we obligated in the same way to pray for our family, our friends, our church?  The short answer is that the Bible tells us to pray a lot.  To pray earnestly, to pray without ceasing, to pray on all occassions (to name a few).  Fathers and mothers need to pray for their children.  Husbands need to pray for their wives, and wives for their husbands.  We need to pray for our family and friends; and we definately need to pray for our local church family.
There are few parts of scripture that convict me when I read it as much as these verses.  As a pastor, I know this obligation, and I'm sure I don't live up to it as much as I need to; but even before I began at Palo, I knew that the God of the universe wants ME to pray about the people whom he has placed in my path.  Far be it from me to sin by failing to pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment