Wednesday, May 25, 2022

There have been too many days like today...

On days like today, there have been too many, far too many, days like today...

I kissed my daughter as the school bus pulled up, we hugged each other, and I told her, "I love you", she's young enough still that she says it back, "love you."  That's our daily routine at the bus stop.

Today nearly two dozen families in Texas will never again have the chance to hear their child say, "I love you."

One of the reasons I am steadfastly non-partisan in my public commentary (I know some will disagree with that self-assessment, so be it) is that I don't hear any voice in American politics today that is holistically pro-life.  I have two thousand years of Church history and an entire Bible of commands and obligations that have convinced me that nothing less will satisfy what God requires of me, so to whom should I turn?

Congress has 535 members, but not one speaks from the position that all life is made in God's image, is thus sacred, and as such their task is to protect and support to the best of their ability every permutation and segment of humanity, not just in our nation but around the world.  There are always caveats, groups left behind, forgotten or deliberately excluded (sometimes with venom and glee no less).  There are always reasons of expediency and tribalism that supersede the needs of real people, excuses why party loyalty rates higher than principled morality.  It isn't even really close, politics misses the mark of what God has called his people to embrace on so many levels.  To think that any party, past or present, could be a 'Christian' party would be laughable if it weren't such a dangerously blasphemous idea.

I honestly don't expect change, not on a national level.  On many of the holistically pro-life issues that matter to me, as a Christian and as a minister, we're not even able to have the conversation about HOW to best solve the needs we can all see in healthcare, education, poverty, criminal justice, racism, the environment, foreign policy, violence, and on and on.  We're too entrenched in our positions to even be willing to talk about anything beyond how 'we' can stop 'them'.  The task confronting the politician isn't easy, there isn't any one solution to any of these endemic issues, and I wouldn't expect everyone to agree on the best way to confront complicated problems with multi-faceted roots, but hope doesn't come from partisanship.  

So I'll continue working with local elected officials, local non-profits (like the one that I'm the President of), local churches (like the one whose leadership I've been entrusted with), and people who care about the needs of people here in our community.  At least here we can make a difference, at least here people are willing to put the us vs. them partisan hatred aside and focus on how to actually help people.

Don't expect me to believe in anyone running for Congress or the Presidency, don't expect me to mold and shape what God's Word has taught me to fit their far more narrow and targeted belief systems.  I've lived through too many days like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment