Thursday, February 7, 2019

Good habits, running, and going to church

As a pastor, I have spoken with people more times than I can possibly remember about their need to regularly be a part of the services (on whatever day they are able to attend) of a local church where they can worship, pray, and hear from the Word of God along with fellow disciples of Jesus Christ.  I am, unabashedly, willing to encourage people to attend a church that is not my own church, nor even of my denomination, if it means they'll actually do it.  Long story short, I'm a fan of people being in church as often as possible (recognizing the difficulty of work schedules, family obligations, health, and mobility constraints).

Let me share an analogy that has been on my mind of late.  This past December I went for a short, 4 mile run prior to our Christmas Eve service.  During the course of 2018 I had completed my third Oil Creek 100 50k, had logged about 700 miles, and had achieved multiple PR's (personal records) since moving to PA in 2012 {in other words, ones that ignore my times as a runner in HS and college} in both the 10k and half-marathon distance.  It was a great year of running, my best since my early 20's, and it came to a close on Christmas Eve with sharp hip pain.  I had been experiencing hip discomfort for some time, but such things are a part of the runner's experience; this was different.  On Christmas day walking up and down the stairs of our home was rather painful.  I waited a week, tried to run about three miles, only to have the pain flair up again.  Another week resting the injury, another easy attempt to run, and the pain persisted.  January, from a training perspective, was a complete bust.  It ended with a trip to the doctor and a pair of shots (one in each hip, the left was the worst but the right was problematic too).  Now, as mid-February approaches, more than six weeks after having to bring my running to an abrupt halt, there may be light at the end of the tunnel, or I may be in for a longer period on the sidelines if the pain returns as I slowly bring running back into my routine.

What has this to do with attending church?  Running is good for my mental health.  It certainly boosts my physical health, no doubt about that, but when I don't get a chance to get outdoors (especially on our amazing local trails in Oil Creek State Park) and spend one to three hours (sometimes as many as five or six), two to three times per week, running, things start to get out of whack.  And while you might think the idea of spending a couple hours in the woods running 10-20 miles is crazy, to me it is awesome.  Not running, day after day, and now week after week, wears on me.

Here's the thing, as much as I love running (or basketball or hockey), they are nothing compared to the benefits to being among the people of God on a regular basis.  As much as I enjoy and need to exercise, I need to worship, pray, and study the Word of God among the people of God far more; and so do you.  We all need to be a part of the community of believers, we all need a chance to serve others, and a chance to receive the help of others in turn.  Christianity is not a solo pursuit, it is not the ER to be visited only in times of crisis.  Healthy habits are imperative, in the spiritual realm as much as the mental and physical.  "I spend time with God by myself" and "I pray" or "I read the Bible", while good and necessary things for those who would be called a disciple of Jesus, are not and cannot be the same as doing those same thing among a community of believers bond together by a common purpose and a common service to the Lord.

I have a 30k on the books for May, and a half-marathon the week after that.  I don't know how my training will go between now and then, but I do know that choosing to not run, if/when I can, is not an option.  Lord willing, I'll be back running the trails soon.


Hebrews 10:23-25 New International Version (NIV)
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment