Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Turns our Lives Take

I was recently sitting in the cafe of a Barnes and Noble (a truly good place to be) while correcting papers for summer school when the father of my college girlfriend walked in and sat down at the next table. We exchanged pleasantries; caught up on a bit of news (this was over ten years ago; time flies), and proceeded to continue with the work that had brought us there...If I rewind my life to the beginning of my last year in college I would be in a place where I thought that I had the future all worked out. I was in love with this girl, we were approaching our year and a half anniversary of dating, and my future ministry opportunities seemed at my fingertips.
That "plan" all ended with the end of that relationship; I was certainly devastated (are are most when they don't see it coming) and found myself visiting my grandmother (my mom's mom) at the nursing home where she had recently been taken to seek her advice and consolation. She did not disappoint me (this time or any other); despite her failing health she offered me hope for the future; assured me that it would all work itself out, and asked me to speak at her funeral; all in one conversation.
It took me more than two years to find my bearings (relationship wise) again; and it turns out it was love from a source I wasn't even considering. My wife Nicole and I were simply friends on the night of Dec 4th 1999 when we ended up kissing for the first time. A month later, I knew this was the woman that God had placed in my path. Over eight years of marriage later I've only confirmed that God knew what he was doing all along.
I learned a lot from that failed college romance; a lot about what it takes to be the man I should be; lessons I was able to apply when Nicole entered my life.
I spent many a day wondering when the Lord was going to answer my prayers; at times sad, at times resigned to waiting; I know now that I WASN'T READY for Nicole until the day we first met. If she had stumbled into my life earlier neither one of us would have been ready. That may sound a bit dramatic, but its true. I may have been wondering why God was being slow in answering my prayers; he was wondering how long it was gonna take for me to open my eyes and see that a God-fearing girl like Nicole was just what I needed (not a complimentary theology perspective; a complimentary help-mate)
As I sat in Barnes and Noble, remembering how very different my attitude and perspectives were eleven years ago I decided that it was necessary to thank this father who had been a part in the process of what it took for me to become who I needed to be (he and his wife always treated me well; that's something to appreciate, it doesn't always happen that way; it also helped prepare me for the very positive relationship I have now with Nicole's parents). Is it any wonder that Isaiah writes, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways." (55:8)
I never saw that turn in the road coming, but when I look into the beautiful eyes of my wife; I'm glad that God knew all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment