Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Yesterday my church was full of people...

As the pastor of a small church (in a huge building), I wish my church was full more often, it bothers me from time to time that my eight years here haven't resulted in full pews on Sunday morning.  We've added a number of great new people and families since my arrival, but I've also officiated at more funerals than I can count.  Yesterday my church was full of people.  We hosted a Christmas food voucher distribution run by Community Support Services (formerly OEO, under the Venango County Human Services Department) and the Venango County United Way.  Seven CSS workers distributed 450 vouchers beginning at 10 AM, we had people waiting to get into the church when our office manager Cheryl arrived at 7.  By 10 AM, there were nearly 200 people waiting in Miller Auditorium.  Rather than spend my morning in my office reading or writing, I gladly spent the bulk of yesterday interacting with my neighbors, many of whom I have now conversed with each of the last several years while they waited for a voucher.
Before my tenure as the shepherd of this flock reaches its termination, Lord willing many years from now, I certainly do hope that our worship service on Sunday morning fills our sanctuary to capacity (about 200+); maybe we will be blessed in this way, maybe not.  I don't know what the future holds for this congregation, nor what the results will be of the seeds we've endeavored to sow, but I do know that yesterday my church was full of people, and for the pastor of a small congregation, that warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment