Friday, August 9, 2013

One man, one job, 45 years

It isn't very common anymore for a man to work his whole career for one company, it isn't even that common anymore for somebody to spend their whole career in one industry or field.  Modern Americans, especially, move around a lot; we get antsy and want to see what else is out there.  There are two things that you need to spend 45 years working for the same company: integrity and good fortune.  My dad, Walt Powell, "retired" (he's still going to work 30 hours a week for them as a consultant) from Amway this week after 45 years of service (with two years in there of service to Uncle Sam with the Air Force).  It has been our family's good fortune, in other words our blessing from God, that Amway has grown and prospered over that period of time.  How many of the companies that were manufacturing in America in 1968 are still doing so today?  This family owned company is a fixture in West Michigan, a leading employer and a leading source of charitable funds.  For our family, this company has been a steadying influence, something that allowed my siblings and I to attend the same school, the same church, and have the same friends as we grew up.
I also mentioned integrity, that word sums up the hard work, dependability, and dedication that has been common in my dad's years of working for Amway.  Walt rose from the factory line to the front office; climbing each step of the way because he was good at what he did and teaching himself advanced mathematics and engineering along the way.  His career has been a shining example of the American Dream (Amway stands for "American Way"), a hard working family man who is able to enjoy the fruits of his labor and advance in his career by being a good employee.
It goes without saying that my mom, Kathy, was an integral part of my dad's ability to work this job all of those years.  I'd be celebrating her retirement, but my mom hasn't shown any indication that she intends to stop mothering her long-since grown children, and has of course enjoyed starting all over again with the grandchildren.
In the end, I'm writing this post to do two things: encourage those of you out there who are wondering if hard work and loyalty is worth is anymore, and share my pride in my father's accomplishment as a way of saying thanks; good job dad.
Hmm, I've been at the First Baptist Church of Franklin almost 2 years, that means I've only got 43 to go to match my dad...Will they still want me around here when I'm 82?

No comments:

Post a Comment