Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The value of joyful music

Psalm 100:1-2 "Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
                        Worship the LORD with gladness;
                        come before him with joyful songs.

Those of you who are familiar with our story know that Nicole and I moved 450 miles away from home in January so that I could take over as the new pastor of the First Baptist Church of Franklin.  That sort of change involves a whole host of new experiences from things as small as where you can get the kind of cereal that you like to where you find spiritual nourishment.  For my wife, there has been an additional adjustment because she must also find a new church to attend for Mass.  Back home Nicole (and I) went to the Cathedral of St. Andrew in Grand Rapids where the music direction was handled superbly by Nick Palmer and the choir was led with gusto and fun by Tom Good.  Thus far in the Franklin area, we haven't found much to compare.  Nicole has been to several churches, and they will of course not feel the same as home, but the thing that always seems to be missing is the music.  It doesn't have the same life, the same joy.  It has been more often than not the same songs that we're used to from St. Andrew, but something is missing.
Of all the things that I learned by going to Mass with my wife a thousand times, the combination of reverence and joy in the music probably tops the list.  I grew up with uplifting music in church, and we certainly have beautiful music here as well, but I hadn't really felt the connection to the music until I saw it through my wife's eyes.  (A lot of that has to do with talent, she's got loads of musical talent, I have only a handful)  And so our search continues, I'm not sure if she will find that "something" that feels like it felt before, but when it isn't there you can tell.  I know that Baptists see the sermon as the culmination of the service, and Catholics feel that way about the Mass, but we should both remember how uplifting and fortifying our music can, and should, be to those who have come to join us in our worship of the Lord.  Shout for joy to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment