Friday, February 17, 2012

Joseph: The all grown-up version

The story of Joseph is one of those that kids raised in the Church learned about early on.  We were told about his coat, his dreams, his brother's jealousy, his time in prison, and his eventual triumph and reunion with his family.  What strikes me as I prepare a series of sermons on Joseph is how brutal the life he lived must have been at times.  Not only was he betrayed by his own brothers and nearly killed, but he spent YEARS as a slave.  When things finally looked like they were turning for the better, Joseph found himself in prison for YEARS.  I don't know about you, but suddenly Joseph doesn't seem like a safe Sunday school story anymore.  There must have been huge swings in his emotions, from fear to rage, from fragile hope to crushing doubt.  How on earth did Joseph remain a man who followed the LORD through all of this?  My faith is strong, but is it that strong?  How would I react to betrayal by my own family, to loss of my freedom, and to years of waiting for things to get better?  The Old Testament saints may make for interesting Disney-style stories for children, but I have to look long and hard to find one of them I'd switch places with.  The next time you feel like looking down at the mistakes of the men and women of Scripture (and there certainly are plenty to point out), make sure you real the whole story with your eyes open first.

No comments:

Post a Comment