Thursday, September 8, 2011

The real reason why writing a sermon each week is hard.

Some of you may think that writing a sermon each week would be hard because you find writing to be a difficult process.  For some people it certainly is, but that isn't what trips me up.  For others, it could be the prospect of having something fresh and insightful to say each week, but God's Word has so much more to say than I can possibly fit into a weekly sermon that it isn't really hard to find enough to say each week.  The reason why writing and delivering a sermon each week is difficult is because you need to have your mind/heart/spirit in the right place in order to do the work.  I can mow the lawn when I'm distracted or even upset, but I can't write what God has for his people from Scripture if I'm either of those.  A lot of the things that I have to do each week can be done regardless of what else is going on, but writing a sermon isn't one of them.  There have been times when I simply have to walk away from the effort for the rest of a day in order to come back again when things are sorted out.  Today I wrote the first page of my message for this week, but when I got to the phrase, "set your hearts on things above" (Colossians 3:1), I had to admit to myself that there were too many other things intruding on my thoughts to continue.  I'll come back and write some more of it tomorrow; hopefully.  As always, the hardest thing about writing a sermon each week is being ready in your own mind/heart/spirit to hear it from God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment