Friday, April 15, 2011

No man knows the number of his days

Many who know me know that I have been dealing with several important life-direction choices in recents months and weeks.  For the most part, they've gone down in flames.  My attempt to join the Army as a chaplain was shot down (no pun intended) by a single doctor's opinion about the health of my knees (and yes, I'm still running and playing ball each week).  A couple of other opportunities have recently come to my attention, but there have been snags that may prevent them from working either.  In the midst of my own angst, and my genuine concern for the well being of my wife, I got a strange phone call this past week from my best friend.
I've received hundreds of call from him over the years, we've played sports together and hung out for almost thirty years, but this call was different.  The voice on the other end of the line was strained and sounded weaker somehow.  It didn't take long before he told me that he was in the hospital.  Having played basketball together six days prior I at first thought it was a joke; but it wasn't.  Long story short, my friend had been rushed to the hospital for an emergency situation that while treatable, could have been life threatening if no dealt with quickly.  We're both 36, our birthdays are a month apart; that's a wake-up call.  While I was worried about the direction of my career, my finances, and my wife (all legit things), my best friend was suddenly facing a very serious medical situation.  In the long-run, he'll be fine and this will be a blip on the radar, but it is also a reminder that none of us know the day or hour appointed for us by the Lord.  We don't know how long we have on this Earth to make a difference, how much time we'll have with our loved ones, or how many 2nd and 3rd chances we'll get to do the right thing.  Let's not waste any more of that time, it's too precious.
Get better soon, those 18 year old kids still need to be taught some lessons on the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment