Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Justice Delayed...

The trial for the two men accused of killing Donald Dietz (my dad's neighbor) is finally beginning; the murder occured in Sept. of 2007; it has been almost four years...I know that the wheels of justice grind slowly, but this is fairly pathetic...it reminds me that we often have to wait until our lives here are over to know the justice of God that is missing in our lives.  It would be so much easier, we think, if God was sitting at his computer, hitting the "smite" key anytime somebody stepped out of line (ok, I stole that idea from a classic Far Side comic); at least then we'd know that justice does indeed prevail...It would be more satisfying perhaps, but would it be better?  Why does God wait so long?  II Peter 3:9 reminds us that, "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  We may want God to avenge us now, to put the bullies and the jerks in this world in their place.  God's reply to us: "my child, I waited for you to repent, why shouldn't I do the same for my other children?"  I guess God really does know what he is doing...as for Donald and his family, hopefully they will at least receive the small comfort of knowing that human justice does eventually come about from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment