Monday, February 28, 2011

Who is the slave and who is free?

After preaching John 8:31-36 this week, I returned to the classroom to teach today with that thought in mind.  Who really is the slave here and who is free?  Jesus did promise us that the Truth would set us free from the chains of our bondage to sin, but are those chains evident?  Are those who don't have a relationship with God really as lost and hopeless as the Gospel says?...I've been teaching alternative education for over seven years now and I've had some wonderful students over the years.  Sadly, though, the vast majority of my students are so totally enthralled to their own desires that they have virtually no compassion or concern for others.  On top of that, the use of drugs and excessive drinking are for many a daily habit.  Their lives are so desperate and without hope that they need to escape from them every day! 
Who is the slave and who is free?  Am I a slave because I choose to abstain from drugs and alcohol?  Am I a slave because I choose to remain commited to only my wife and no other?  Am I missing out on all of the fun?  No, I'm not.  God didn't give us his commandments in order to ruin our fun, God gave us the Law so that we might see what holiness looks like.  God wants us to be like him because his existence is perfect. 
In the end, we all must choose.  Choose to live our lives for others, to dedicate ourselves to a hope and a calling beyond our own selfish ambitions.  Or, we can choose to live only for ourselves, we can choose to waste our lives on hollow pursuits that will never satisfy.
"if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." - John 8:36

No comments:

Post a Comment