Thursday, February 10, 2011

The LORD giveth, and the LORD taketh away...

Ever had one of those weeks? When things go so wrong that you don't even know how to react. You could say that the last seven days have been that for my wife and I. We started off last friday with a nice evening; went out for pizza and then to a movie (saw Despicable Me, funny); we were in a good mood, looking forward to the weekend and driving home. The road about 3 miles from home was iced over because of the wind blowing snow across it (as it always is at this spot) so I slowed down to 35 mph. knowing that stopping there was next to impossible...after a couple hundred yards, lights in my rear view mirror keep getting closer, quickly. SLAM!! Our Taurus goes spinning around the road and into the ditch {long story short, the car is totaled, we don't get any money because MI is a no-fault ins. state); both Nicole and I were pretty sore, but at least not hurt badly. In an instant, I don't have a car to drive to work anymore {thankfully my parents let me borrow their 2nd car for a while}...what was a nice evening, a good time for my wife and I together, turns into a rotten night of waiting around in the cold for the cops and a tow truck. In and of itself, that would be enough. God has allowed us to be in financially rough times in the past, we've struggled to find the $ to pay our bills, but we're not as hard up as some; we can deal with this too....
Fast forward five days, I check my e-mail to discover that the Army chaplain recruiter has sent me a new one; nothing unusual here, he's been asking for additional info. for six months...when I open it I learn that the Army doctor who had previously approved my medical waiver (I have some knee pain and used to have migraines), has changed her mind and rejected it instead. The recruiter has told me that this is the end, there isn't anything else he can do {there are a couple of long-shot chances I'm yet pursuing, but they're not likely}; in one moment, my plans to go back to the Seminary to finish my MDiv and for us to have health insurance by this summer (we've been 2 yrs. without, neither of my 2 jobs have it, nor Nicole's adjunct prof. position); not to mention the long-held desire I have had to join the military; poof, gone...
Ok Lord, now what? How can I minister full-time when the hurdles in the way keep getting higher...I've been inches away from a full-time prison chaplain job only to have someone decide they weren't going to retire afterall; poof...I've been working for four years at my church, but we're barely keeping our heads above water. All the growth we would have had was negated by people moving away to find jobs. What now?
At times, it isn't easy being a servant of the Lord (I know, that's a shocker); if it wasn't for the support of family and friends, my church and my wife; I'd be hurting much worse...
to think, Job didn't have any of that, his wife told him to cuse God and die; his friends told him to confess to the sins he knew he hadn't commited; God's answer, "hey Job, I'm God, you let me worry about the future" (ok, that's a real big paraphrase)...
So, God, you're God, I'm letting you worry about the future; please help me to see what I'm supposed to do in the present...

No comments:

Post a Comment