Monday, September 10, 2012

When you know the little ol' ladies are praying...

I have a theory: God listens to those little ol' ladies when they pray.  How do I know this?  I've had a sizable number praying for me, they've told me they are and I know they take it seriously, and something that happened on Sunday night proved God was listening to them.

As I was walking across the church parking lot to go invite some kids from the playground to our Awana kick-off event that was about to start, I noticed a young man (maybe 20, at least my size) walking along the sidewalk toward the parking lot carrying a baseball bat.  In the parking lot stood a group of teens (3 or so of them, probably all 15-16) who were yelling a variety of profanities at the approaching man.  It was obvious in a moment that a fight was about to begin.  With plenty of little kids in the area, not to mention a busy street a few feet away, I reacted on instinct.
Now, I've broken up a variety of fights in my day, one can't avoid physical confrontations when working with troubled teens, but this was something new.  Within moments I was standing between two young men, both of whom were yelling through me at each other, and one of whom I was facing as he held that baseball bat in his hands.  Were the cops coming, had anyone called them, no idea.
After several minutes of telling both sides that a fight wasn't going to help them any, that the cops would be sure to haul of to jail a guy swinging a bat in public, the two sides drifted apart.
It was only then that the realization hit me that I had been face-to-face with a guy I didn't know who was in a mood to swing a baseball bat at someone.  As I said before, the little ol' ladies pray for me.
That young man went to jail that night, the cops hoping to diffuse the situation, and the teen, whom I know a little bit from playing basketball at the park, came over later to apologize for using profanity in front of a pastor; who knows, perhaps this crazy moment will bear positive fruit in the future.
Five minutes later I'm leading 30 kids and a group of parents in prayer so we can start our Awana cookout, what a crazy thing the ministry is sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Blessed are the peacemakers.
    When you stepped into this situation, you were not acting as a pastor. You were acting as a caring and decent human being, and a courageous man. You did what needed to be done. It´s a pity, in a way, that those young men apologized to you because you are a minister. They ought to apologize because they were offensive, period. I hope you got to invite the kids to your event. And I hope the old ladies know how much you appreciate them!

    Rebekah Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I had the grace from God of good parenting to influence me early in life along with an early introduction to faith in Jesus; the two of them left me incapable of standing by when the weak are threatened.
    I understand why he apologized the way he did; in the home he was raised in, and among his peers, such talk is normal. We know, however, that God has given us each a conscience, something we can dull or ignore, but it's still there.
    We had several kids from the playground come over to the Awana club (our youth program); reaching the older ones will be much more difficult, but God's grace is sufficient.
    I hope you're enjoying Spain, one of my best friends was born on a US military base there...how'd you find the blog, I'm always curious how people I don't know come across it.
    God Bless, Pastor Powell

    ReplyDelete