Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When it feels like you're just putting a finger in the dike

There are times when it seems like every effort that we make in life is simply crisis management, trying to hold back a tide of depravity.  When you live a life devoted to God, to championing right over wrong, the weak over the strong, it can be double painful to know people who either don't care about this effort, or who actively seek to wreck such good works.  I've lately been afflicted by those who don't care.  It takes a lot of my willpower to be the only man who cares about the people I work with; to be surrounded by apathy and nihilism.  I care more about their lives than they do.  I hear constant tales of drug and alcohol use; of meaningless sex; all in a vain effort to escape from life.
Without God, what is there?  Without a purpose to your life, why are you here?
I know my savior lives.  I know I have a purpose, a place in this life.  I can't imagine trying to face this world with only pathetic substitutes to fill the "God-shaped hole" in each of us.
There but for the grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment