Friday, February 3, 2017

Pastors may be legally able to engage in partisan politics? No thanks.

The President of the United States recently spoke in favor of repealing the 1954 Johnson Amendment which prohibits endorsements of political candidates by those working for non-profits (including churches) with the possibility of the organization's tax exempt status potentially being revoked for violations.  This law is rarely enforced, during the past election cycle a significant number of prominent religious figures made endorsements and even actively campaigned for a political candidate, in violation of the law, without apparent consequence.  It is apparent that these men and women have some sort of justification in mind for their violation of the teaching of Romans 13, it will of course be God who judges the heart on this matter.
It isn't the law which prevents me from making political endorsements, or even speaking publicly on politics in general (aside from encouraging democratic principles and good citizenship), but a deeply held belief that any marriage between the Church and a political party is destined to be an uneven and abusive relationship.  Politics offers a Faustian bargain to pastors, promising them access to power in exchange for their reputation, in the end, power will prove an illusion, betrayal will occur, and one's reputation will never be the same.
I already have a boss, the God of the heavens and the earth, the judge of the living and the dead, I don't need another, I won't yoke myself willingly to a political boss.  I already have a mission, to spread the Gospel and make disciples, I don't need another, especially one that has the potential to weaken or destroy my effectiveness to do the first.  I am a firm believer in Free Speech, without it, Freedom of Religion could not exist.  That I have the freedom to say or do something does not mean that it is wise, prudent, or morally upright to do so.  I choose to self-limit my political speech, that I might better serve the kingdom of God, that I might better be the salt and light that our world so desperately needs.
If the Johnson Amendment is repealed, it won't change my actions at all, but it will tempt others of my brothers and sisters serving the Church to exchange the unchanging Truth of the Gospel for the changeable power plays of politics.  Not all speech is free, some of it comes as a cost, this cost is too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment